Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kaia @ SXSW!

I didn't plan on seeing Kaia play live at SXSW because I had no idea she would be playing.   I first heard Kaia a LONG time ago (like over 20 years ago now) in Team Dresch, a queer punk band from Portland, Oregon.

I started hanging out on the Chainsaw Records messageboard.  That was back in the early days of the internet.  The Chainsaw board was a place to talk about music and hang out with people that I could relate to when there was no one who lived around me that really fit that bill.  Unfortunately both the label and the messageboard don't exist anymore although I can see that Donna still has it registered and up @ http://chainsawrecords.com/.

Anyway, I think it was 1995 or somewhere around there that Kaia released a solo record and it was self-titled.  It wasn't like the Team Dresch album but it was raw, unfiltered, and totally fucking awesome!  To this day it's still in my top 5 albums ever and I still have the original cd that I bought all those years ago.

Here are some tracks from that first solo record that she played live @ SXSW:







This one here is off her NEW album "Two Adult Women In Love"!



I was able to see her play again during SXSW at the big Gay Bi Gay Gay festival and she played some other tracks!

This one is a cover of a Cure track that she recorded for her Oregon album:



This one is a Team Dresch song from "Personal Best":



These are from her NEW album!!





No comments:

Post a Comment