Wednesday, March 21, 2012

An Overview

I created this blog as a way to document what occurred for me during SXSW 2012.  I was re-invigorated musically during this event as I was a little blah beforehand.  I hope you read through my posts at the beginning going through the days and then watch the videos I posted later.

I'm not sure what'll happen from here, if I keep posting about music or if I fade away... we'll have to see.  I know that I'm into all kinds of music.  I was into pop music like the Beach Boys and country music like Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton when I was a wee lad.  I got into ALL kinds of things as a teenager.  I raided my parents record collection and was listening to Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Janis Joplin, and Pink Floyd.  I was 120 Minutes and Alternative Nation obsessed and was into Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees.  I got into punk music, everything from Bikini Kill and Team Dresch to Bad Religion and Black Flag.  I got into all sorts of indie music from Kill Rock Stars, K Records, SST Records, Chainsaw, Candy-ass, Yo-Yo, and the list goes on and on and on.  Somewhere in my late teens I got into Industrial music when I friend lended me a Front Line Assembly cd.  After I moved to Dallas I started going backwards and got into 80s synthpop up until the modern day synthpop like De/vision and Camouflage.  This led me to become a DJ for a bit with some good friends of mine.  I explored all kinds of electronic music from house music to drum'n'bass.  I've been all over the musical spectrum.

These days I listen to a lot of alt-country, folk, and the more chill indie rock type music.  I listen to some of the you know... electro-dance indie stuff from time to time but I'm a little burnt out on it.

This is all to say that I'm all over the map and get into different moods and this will likely reflect in anything I post.  I don't just listen to one thing or one style.

Oh and the title of this blog is "Getting Past the Static" which is an album title from one of my other top 5 records which was written by Jen Wood (solo but formerly from Tattletale) and not only is the album raw and emotional but the phrase "getting past the static" has always stuck with me and I think it can be fitting for this blog as any music I post is going to be beyond what you probably listen to and are comfortable with... but who knows, maybe not.  I just know that a lot of what I listen to isn't terribly popular or mainstream, I don't listen to it for that reason but it's just a fact that I have to deal with even though I wish more people would pay attention to these artists and performers.

Anyway, that's it...

No comments:

Post a Comment